I am always asked questions about my hair so of course, it made sense for me to write a blog for the mass’s. I get questions like; how do you style your hair? what products to you use, how do keep it healthy and soft ? Inquiring minds wanted to know..
So you know, I did not always rock my natural hair, it was a process. As I got older and more comfortable in my own skin, I wanted to be my most authentic self. I know longer wanted to intentionally put toxins into my body, and as a result, damaging my hair.
Full transparency, I chemically processed my hair for YEARS ! As teenager, my friends all had straight hair and I had curly, thick, BIG hair and I did’nt like being different. I wanted to fit in ! So, one day I had a friend chemically straighten my hair, I was 14! That’s when it all began, and there was no going back . It wasn’t until YEARS later in 2013, I decided I was done putting chemicals in my hair, and began on my journey back to healthy hair, and rocking my natural hair. I BIG chopped all of my hair and all the damage along with it ! I’m happy to report that I haven’t had a blow out or used chemicals, heat, or flat irons on my hair for over 4 years.
It was’nt easy! There were many times I was so ready to go back and take the easy route of styling my hair because my natural hair was so damaged, and unruly. But, I hung in ! I can honestly say over the last 4 years, I have used 90% of the products on the market for curly hair, I have mixed product lines, made my own hair product cocktails, I literally did and try everything.. Hundreds of $$$$$ later, I found the products that work! But first, here I am with straight hair: #tbt2010
My WASH- N- GO:
- I first wash my hair with DevaCurl no- poo , I wash the roots in a massaging motion. Tip ~ Don’t pile your hair on top of your head. Piling your hair on top of your head and scrubbing is not necessary and only causes the hair strands to be roughly handled thus breaking and frizzing up your hair.. Oh, and DON’T scrub your scalp, massage it 🙂
- I then condition with DevaCurl one decadence conditioner. Tip ~ I use my fingers at this point to detangle my hair ( you can use a Denman brush or wide tooth comb ). I leave this on while I continue with my shower.
- I rinse out the conditioner with cool water ( to close the hair cuticle and cut out frizz )
- I deep condition my hair once a week with DevaCurl Heaven in Hair.. smells soo good and really hydrates my curls- hydrated curls are frizz free curls ! I use this as a leave in, ( just 20%, I rinse the rest out )
- I leave my hair soaking wet when I get out.. yes, dripping ! my hair dry’s so fast and I need to apply my styling products while my hair is soaking wet or else it starts to get frizzy.
- I add DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel DevaCurl Wave Maker into a small bowl and I mix it together ( this could be two separate steps, but adding them together shortens the process. I don’t have time to spend hours on my hair ! #alltheshortcuts
- I section my hair in 4 and rake the mixture into my hair so it’s all evenly distributed.
- After getting the styling products into my hair, I flip my hair upside down and start scrunching my hair.. scrunch to define the curls naturally and upside down to add volume ie.. create the fro, I like BIG hair ! how ironic now
- I let my air hair dry for about 30 mins, then I sit under my dryer for 45 mins with the temp on medium. Finally, I diffuse to remove any product cast and soften and FALA !
This all takes a little over and 1 hour..BUT, I only have to do this once a week, my ” wash N go” last 5 days, and by then it’s time to wash my hair again anyway ! 🙂
DevaCurl and Olaplex I have to use a olaplex now since adding pintura highlights to my hair , My hair LOVES it. I only use the Olaplex when getting my highlights touched up .. yes, along with the grey !
Hope this is helpful, If you have any questions, leave a comment for me and I am happy to answer !